Pages

Proof

Monday, June 3, 2013

I've been wanting to try Proof since I last lived in Des Moines several years ago. Last weekend, I finally got the chance to check it out... and it was well worth the wait.

Proof's Mediterranean-inspired menu changes often and makes the most of seasonal, local ingredients.

We started things off with a couple drinks. Proof's happy hour boasts $5 signature cocktails... something not to be missed. I tried the Harrison Tonic - a unique and refreshing blend of Bourbon, Celery Syrup and Lemon Juice. A little salty, a little sweet and the perfect start to my meal.
And now on to the important stuff... the food.

We decided to share a couple small plates. Starting with Mussels...
 
 
They were amazing. Soaked in saffron and mustard cream, I wanted to lick the bowl. After I collected myself, we moved on to a favorite of mine. Bone Marrow. If you haven't tried it, get to Proof and check it out. It is as good as I've had it anywhere. Sure, its a little caveman but its a lot delicious.
 
Rich and butter-like, Bone Marrow is best spread on crisp bread with a little salt. However, in the words of Emeril, Proof kicks it up a notch with red-onion compote and caper, shallot and parsley salad. Pretty perfect.
 
We finished off the meal with a couple sandwiches.
 
The lamb meatballs and the Porchetta. Both sandwiches were great and each started with a warm, fluffy piece of chewy flatbread but that's where the similarities end. The Lamb Meatballs were rich, spicy and heavily seasoned. Just when I thought they couldn't get any better, I bit into the hidden center of goat cheese. The Porchetta's slow roasted pork stuffed with house-made Italian sausage was right and decadent. Smothered in cheese and a pepper compote, it was a rich way to end the meal and the perfect last bite.

I should also mention the service was top notch... probably the best I've experienced in Des Moines. Do yourself a favor, check out Proof as soon as you can.


0 comments:

Post a Comment