Pages

Downtown for Lunch!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A look at what I've been loving – Downtown edition! For me a new job means lots of things, but one of the most delicious perks of a cross-city career move is lunch. I love exploring the city’s great eats over the noon hour. My new title brought me downtown and I couldn't be happier. Some of my absolute favorite spots call the heart of the city home. 

Here’s a look at what’s been gracing my plate.

Alba
I've been to Alba before for dinner and I've got to say – lunch is where it’s at. After accepting an invitation from a foodie coworker, I found myself digging into creamy, dreamy potato gnocchi. Light-as-air tender pillows of potato floating in a delicate cream sauce. The dish was finished with flavorful roasted veggies. I still think about it… thank goodness I’m just a short drive away. 

New World Café
My go-to lunch spot downtown. It’s become a Friday ritual for me to order their amazing Mexican bowl. It’s the most flavorful plate (or bowl) of vegan food I've ever had. That’s a tall order because my old hood, Kansas City, had some pretty fabulous vegan restaurants. Back to the bowl – perfectly cooked grains are topped with roasted veggies, avocado, a zippy green herb salsa and my favorite, cashew cheese. The dish is finished with a crunchy pumpkin seed crumble. I eat it every week and I love it every week.


City Bakery

I discovered a dessert at City Bakery that I don’t think I can live without. The coconut biscuit. Imagine the thickest, chewiest, most flavorful macaroon you've ever had. Then take that times a million and you have City Bakery’s coconut biscuit. I've been known to order two – one for lunch and one for immediately following lunch.

The Cheese Shop
But Sarah, you’ve already blogged about how much you love The Cheese Shop. Yes, I know but there’s this one plate. Hand-cut acorn Tamworth prosciutto from La Quercia with marcona almonds. So simple, so perfect. I love a paper-thin sheet of prosciutto as much as the next guy but the slightly thick, slightly chewy bits of hand-cut prosciutto really gave me something to savor. 


post signature

1 comments:

  1. when people ask me what my favorite restaurant in Des Moines is I usually say City Bakery. It's a place that isn't too popular but once you find it you can't stop thinking about how fresh and amazing their food is. I believe it's the same owners of La Mie Bakery. :)

    ReplyDelete