Pages

Fresh Cafe and Market

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

There comes a time in every food-lovers life that a little detox is in order. When you dine out as often as I do, balance is key. I try to watch what I eat for most of the week, so I can really make the most of my weekends. While on a weekday hunt for green juice, I stumbled across one of West Des Moines hidden gems. Fresh Cafe and Market's creative and delicious menu of vegetarian and vegan fare rocks from cup to plate.

I started my visit off with a green juice. A delicious blend of pineapple, banana and greens - it was healthy and sweet. Skeptical? Give their green juices a try - all you taste is perfectly ripe fruit!

To make the most of my visit, I ordered a sampling of items off the ever-changing menu. I started things off with my favorite entree of my visit - the raw tacos.

The flavorful walnut and sunflower seed "meat" was well seasoned and not overpowered by homemade salsa, avocado and cashew cheese. These light done right tacos were fabulous.

I also gave the veggie spring rolls a try. Crisp cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, avocado, jalapenos and cilantro all rolled up in rice paper. A little dry on their own, the rolls came to life when dipped into the accompanying spicy lime almond dipping sauce.

While waiting in line, I noticed everyone around me getting the black bean brownies. I followed suit and I can see why they are such a hit. Moist, chewy and deeply chocolate... a dessert-fiend's dream.

Fresh Cafe and Market is the kind of place you can feel good about... any day of the week.

1 comments: