Pages

The Cheese Shop

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I love everything about The Cheese Shop. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate, the selection is first-rate and the food is amazing. Located on 42nd Street, it's the kind of place that Des Moines is lucky to have.

I've had the chance to sample several items from the menu and they've all been great. The best thing I've had there was an appetizer called Face Jam. Slow cooked pork cheeks simmered with red wine, served on crostini. From start to finish... amazing. Not to mention, absolutely beautiful.


The Preserved Lemon salad was the perfect combination of crisp lettuce, salty preserved lemon, tangy cheese, crunchy almonds and Nicoise Olives. Its what I want all salads to be... simple and perfectly balanced.

I moved on to the Pig and the Fig sandwich. Fresh La Mie ciabatta topped with my favorite La Quercia Prosciutto, creamy Fromage d'Affinois and sweet fig spread. I asked for it toasted and it was a heavenly combination of salty, sweet, creamy and crisp.

On another visit, I decided on the Bahn Mi - a favorite Vietnamese sandwich of mine. The Bahn Mi at The Cheese Shop was layered with pork and liver pate, ham, pickled carrots and cucumber, cilantro and topped with a tangy chili and ginger vinaigrette. The ginger in the vinaigrette was amazing... each time I got a bite, it was a burst of flavor.
We also sampled the Bacon Blue Cheese Toastie. Forget the grilled cheese, toastie's are where its at. Bacon, blue cheese and fig spread... to die for.
Please note the melty cheese.
One of Des Moines top spots... get to The Cheese Shop early and often. Chances are, I'll see you there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment